Intensive Family Engagement Institute
November 6-7, 2017 Oak Brook, a suburb of Chicago
Audience: An interdisciplinary team of four consisting of a family support supervisor, school director, master teacher, parent representative, executive director or local evaluation partner
Intensive family engagement has always been critical to the work we do. As a core feature of the Educare model, we recognize its importance to the success of our high-quality programs and understand the value effective family engagement efforts bring to Educare.
The Educare Learning Network has intently focused on defining our approach to intensive family engagement in the last few years. We unveiled the initial progress of our efforts during the 2017 Network Meeting and are holding the institute to more deeply explore what intensive family engagement means for Educare.
We highly recommend school leaders send a family support supervisor or a representative in a similar role. School leaders are invited to bring a fifth team member at the school’s expense.
Registration Deadline: Thursday, October 12, 2017
Educare’s first Intensive Family Engagement Institute will be held in Oak Brook, Illinois, a suburb approximately 20 miles west of Chicago on Monday, November 6 to Tuesday, November 7. The two-day learning event is designed to help participants explore the revised intensive family engagement core feature, and learn about tools and resources for both staff and parents to use in their schools.
The Educare Learning Network will cover the cost of travel, accommodations and some meals for four members of a school team. School leaders are invited to bring a fifth team member at the school’s expense if they choose to do so.
We encourage each school to send an interdisciplinary team. We highly recommend a family support supervisor or a representative in a similar role attend. Other suggested attendees include a school director, master teacher, parent representative, executive director or local evaluation partner. If a parent is included as a member of the school team, we recommend that the parent attending the institute be the same parent who attended the 2017 Network Meeting, if possible.
On Monday, we will begin at 8:30am and finish at 4:30pm. On Tuesday, we will begin at 8am and wrap up early at 2pm.
Assignment and Webinar Prior to the Institute
Please note, before arriving at the Intensive Family Engagement Institute, we will be sending an assignment to school directors and executive directors that they will ask you complete and submit before traveling to the Chicago area in November.
We will also convene a webinar for executive directors and school directors a few weeks before the institute. This webinar will provide a preview of the event and focus on leaders’ role in a successful family engagement approach. More details, including a date and time, will be sent shortly.
The Educare Learning Network will reimburse your organization for airfare expenses. We will also cover one baggage fee per person each way. Airfare arrangements should be completed at least 21 days prior to the travel date. All flights must be booked in economy class. Airfares greater than $500 must be approved before purchase by contacting us at email@example.com. Please forward original receipts within 30 days of the event for timely reimbursement.
For participants driving to the Chicago area, there will be a mileage reimbursement of $0.54 per mile, for up to $500. Please visit the hotel website for driving directions from both O’Hare and Midway airports. Click here for directions from downtown Chicago.
Please note that the forms of ground transportation listed below are not covered by the Educare Learning Network.
Airport Shuttle Service
GO Airport Express. 888.284.3826. Offers daily service from 4am‑10pm. Reservations are recommended, but not required from the airports. However, reservations are required for your return trip to the airport.
- To or from Chicago O’Hare International Airport, prices per person
- Single person, one way: $45
- Single person, round trip: $88
- Group (3 or more people), one way: $61
- Group (3 or more people), round trip: $110
- To or from Chicago Midway International Airport, prices per person
- Single person, one way: $54
- Single person, round trip: $104
- Group (3 or more people), one way: $70
- Group (3 or more people), round trip: $128
You can call American Taxi at 847.259.0276 for the following rates:
- One way to or from Chicago O’Hare International Airport (driving time approximately 20 minutes): $27
- One way to or from Chicago Midway International Airport (driving time approximately 35 minutes): $32
O’hare and Midway both allow Uber and Lyft rides to and from the airports.
Car Rental at Chicago O’Hare International Airport
Car rental agencies are located on the lower level near the baggage claim areas of Terminals 1, 2 and 3. Please look for signs and courtesy phones. From Terminal 5, rental car agencies are available by courtesy telephones located on the lower level. Many car rental agencies also offer courtesy buses to various automobile pick‑up and drop‑off areas.
- Alamo: 800.327.9633
- Avis: 800.331.1212
- Budget: 800.527.0700
- Dollar: 800.800.4000
- Enterprise: 800.867.4595
- Hertz: 800.654.3131
- National: 800.227.7368
Car Rental at Chicago Midway International Airport
The car rental companies’ offices are located inside the terminal on the lower level. Car rental pick-up and drop-off points are found on Level 2 of the Midway Airport Parking Garage, located east of Cicero Avenue. Most of these companies provide vehicles for persons with mobility impairments. They need notification two to three days before your visit to Midway Airport.
- Alamo: 800.462.5266
- Avis: 800.331.1212
- Budget: 800.527.0700
- Dollar: 800.800.3665
- Enterprise: 866.502.1260
- Hertz: 800.654.3131
- National: 800.227.7368
You can take the BNSF Railway Metra from Downtown Chicago to Aurora and get off at the Wesmont station. You can call the hotel at 630.850.5555 to arrange a free shuttle to pick you up from the Metra station. For additional information and schedules, please visit the Metra website.
The Educare Learning Network will handle your hotel accommodation throughout your stay with us. We will cover the cost for up to four participants, handling rooms plus tax for two nights. Guests are required to provide a credit card during check-in to cover the cost of incidentals and other additional charges.
Email confirmations will be sent directly from the hotel to each attendee.
Any additional guests over the allotted four will have reservations made on their behalf. However, upon check-in they will need to provide a credit card for payment.
Attendees wishing to extend their stay at the group rate must submit their request in writing. All extended stay requests are subject to availability and will be at the expense of the attendee unless your return transportation requires an additional overnight stay.
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Hills Resort & Conference Center
3500 Midwest Road
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Check-in: Sunday, November 5, 2017
Check-out: Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Self parking is free of charge.
Cancellations must be made 72 hours prior to date of arrival by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be advised that cancellation of individual reservations made up to 72 hours prior to arrival will be accepted and the deposit refunded for those rooms for the full night’s stay.
Failure to cancel reservation will result in a no-show fee billed to the Educare Learning Network.
The Hilton offers a shuttle service to both the Oakbrook and Yorktown Shopping Malls. Below are dining and shopping options at both malls.
Oakbrook Center Shopping Mall
100 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook, IL 60523
- Antico Posto, Level 1 near Pirch, 630.586.9200
- California Pizza Kitchen, Level 2 near Nordstrom, 630.571.7800
- Maggiano’s Little Italy, Lower Level near Neiman Marcus, 630.368.0300
- Mon Ami Gabi, Lower Level near Neiman Marcus, 630.472.1900
- Old Town Pour House, Lower Level near Neiman Marcus, 630.601.1440
- Perry’s Steakhouse & Grille, Lower Level near Neiman Marcus, 630.571.1808
- Reel Club, Lower Level near Neiman Marcus, 630.368.9400
- Season 52, Lower 1 near Crate & Barrel, 630.571.4752
- The Cheesecake Factory, Level 1 near Le Meridien Hotel, 630.573.1800
- m. Basil, Lower Level near Nordstrom, 630.571.8424
- Wildfire, Level 1 near Neiman Marcus, 630.586.9000
- Anthropologie, Level 1 near Neiman Marcus, 630.571.4402
- Apple, Level 1 near Crate & Barrel, 630.481.3470
- Banana Republic, Level 1 near Lord & Taylor, 630.571.3287
- Barnes & Noble, Level 1 near Neiman Marcus, 630.684.0586
- Build-A-Bear Workshop, Level 1 near Sears, 630.928.0497
- Columbia Factory Store, Level 1 near Nordstrom, 630.203.9742
- Crate & Barrel, Level 1 near Macy’s, 630.572.1300
- Forever 21, Level 1 near Sears, 630.481.3439
- H&M, Level 1 near Nordstrom, 855.466.7467
- J. Crew, Level 1 near Barnes & Noble, 630.990.1166
- Lord & Taylor, Level 1 near Macy’s, 630.574.8000
- Lululemon, Level 1 near Pirch, 630.368.1610
- Lush, Level 1 near Crate & Barrel, 630.928.0389
- Neiman Marcus, Level 1 near Barnes & Noble, 630.572.1500
- Nordstrom, Level 1 near H&M, 630.571.2121
- Pottery Barn, Level 1 near Crate & Barrel, 630.572.3307
- Sephora, Level 1 near Lord & Taylor, 630.368.3322
- Williams-Sonoma, Level 1 near Barnes & Noble, 630.571.2702
Yorktown Center Shopping Mall
203 Yorktown Center, Lombard, IL 60148
- Armand’s Pizzeria, 346-Upper Level, 630.785.3155
- Brio Tuscan Grille, 330-The Shops on Butterfield, 630.424.1515
- The Capital Grille, 87 Yorktown Shopping Center, 630.627.9800
- Claim Jumper, Yorktown West Parking Lot, 630.932.4290
- O.C. Wine Bar, 326 Yorktown Shopping Center, 630.627.6666
- Harry Caray’s Steakhouse, 70 Yorktown Shopping Center, 630.953.3400
- Holy Mackerel!, 70 Yorktown Shopping Center, 630.953.3444
- Rock Bottom, 94 Yorktown Shopping Center, 630.424.1550
- RA Sushi Bar, The Shops on Butterfield, 630.627.6800
- Tom & Eddie’s, The Shops on Butterfield, 630.705.9850
- American Eagle, 158-Lower Level, 630.495.2831
- Champs Sports, 112-Lower Level Marshall’s Wing, 630.678.0155
- Clark Street Sports, 205A-Upper Level across from PacSun, 630.748.7489
- Eddie Bauer, 163-Lover Level JCPenney Wing, 630.705.9088
- Express, 209-Upper Level Forever 21 Wing, 630.916.8053
- Francesca’s, 240-Upper Level near Carson Prairie Scott, 630.953.7401
- Gymboree, 125-Lower Level Center Court, 630.629.5040
- Land’s End, Upper Level JCPenney Wing, 630.953.8855
- Marshall’s, Lower Level near the Children’s Train, 630.495.0321
- AMC Dine-in Theaters, 80 Yorktown Shopping Center, 630.495.0012
Dining Options at the Hotel
- Restaurant and Lounge, 630.850.5525
- Tin Cup Bar & Grille, 630.850.5555