Interdisciplinary Leadership Learning Group
July 25-27, 2016 Chicago, IL
Ounce of Prevention Fund
33 West Monroe Street
Chicago, Illinois 60603
Audience: school directors, family support supervisors and master teachers
The Educare Learning Network will be hosting a brand new combined in-person leadership learning group event this July. One school director, one family support supervisor and one master teacher will travel to Chicago to explore and strengthen interdisciplinary work at the school level and across the Network.
Participants must register by June 20, 2016.
Monday, July 25, 2-5:30pm (Participants will meet in their stand-alone learning groups)
Tuesday, July 26, 8:30am-5pm (All participants will meet together)
Wednesday, July 27, 8:30am-1:30pm (All participants will meet together)
We are excited to open registration for this summer’s Interdisciplinary Leadership Learning Group in Chicago. This event will offer a unique opportunity to unpack team dynamics and incorporate new perspectives in order to explore and strengthen interdisciplinary work at the school level and across the Network. We will build upon Dr. Walter Gilliam’s contributions at our April Network Meeting and explore interdisciplinary approaches to understanding and addressing challenging behaviors in our schools.
Our goal is for participants to gain a better understanding of each leadership role and accept one another’s perspectives as the key for building shared agreement and understanding as a school leadership team working toward building and sustaining systems that support children and families with challenging behaviors. During this event, learners will:
- Identify current school specific issues and practices related to working with children and families who exhibit challenging behaviors.
- Identify and explore personal and role specific attitudes, knowledge and skills that impact interdisciplinary work with children and families who exhibit challenging behaviors.
- Work with their own school’s interdisciplinary team and teams from across the Network to identify opportunities to strengthen Educare’s approach to working with children and families who exhibit challenging behaviors.
- Be prepared to partner with their interdisciplinary school team to engage staff and parents in discussions concerning their own school’s approach to working with children and families who exhibit challenging behaviors.
Each school is invited to send three participants (one school director, one master teacher and one family support supervisor) to the Interdisciplinary Leadership Learning Group. While it is not mandatory for each learning group participant to have attended the Network Meeting, we strongly encourage those participants who did not attend the Network Meeting to have a discussion about Dr. Gilliam’s presentation with their colleagues who did attend. They can also watch the recordings of Dr. Gilliam’s presentations: Keeping children and families in school and The classroom is the village.
School Management Team Pre-event Assignment:
In advance of the Interdisciplinary Leadership Learning Group, each participating school’s entire management team will convene a discussion at their own school that explores the school’s beliefs and practices regarding their approaches to understanding and addressing challenging behaviors.
School Staff & Family Post-event Assignment:
Each participating school’s team will return to their own school’s management team and together build an event to involve a broader staff and family group experience designed to explore staff and parents’ understanding of challenging behaviors and to inform school practices.
The Educare Learning Network will cover the following expenses:
- Hotel Accommodations (2 nights: July 25 and 26)
- Meals (breakfast, lunch and snacks during training)
Registration deadline: June 20, 2016
Contact for additional info: For questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Educare Learning Network will reimburse your organization for airfare expenses as well as one baggage fee per person each way. Airfare arrangements should be completed at least 21 days prior to the travel date and must be booked in economy class. Airfare greater than $500 must be approved before purchase by contacting us at email@example.com. The network will also reimburse individuals that take the train or drive to our events. Driving mileage reimbursement will be calculated from the current standard mileage rate of $0.54 per mile. Please forward original receipts from event travel within 30 days of the event for reimbursement.
Ground transportation to and from the airport to the hotel or meeting space is not a reimbursable expense by the Educare Learning Network.
Airport Shuttle Service
GO Airport Express. 888.284.3826. Offers daily service from 4am‑10pm. Reservations are recommended, but not required from the airports. However, reservations are required for your return trip to the airport.
To or from Chicago O’Hare International Airport, prices per person:
- Single person, one way: $28
- Single person, round trip: $53
- Group (3 or more people), one way: $14
To or from Chicago Midway International Airport, prices per person:
- Single person, one way: $23
- Single person, round trip: $41
- Group (3 or more people), one way: $12
Prices are subject to change without notice.
Estimated taxi fares:
- One way to or from Chicago O’Hare International Airport (driving time approximately 35 minutes): $40‑$50
- One way to or from Chicago Midway International Airport (driving time approximately 25 minutes): $30‑$40
Car Rental at Chicago O’Hare International Airport:
Car rental agencies are located on the lower level near the baggage claim areas of Terminals 1, 2 and 3. Please look for signs and courtesy phones. From Terminal 5, rental car agencies are available by courtesy telephones located on the lower level. Many car rental agencies also offer courtesy buses to various automobile pick‑up and drop‑off areas.
- Alamo: 800.327.9633
- Avis: 800.331.1212
- Budget: 800.527.0700
- Dollar: 800.800.4000
- Enterprise: 800.867.4595
- Hertz: 800.654.3131
- National: 800.227.7368
Car Rental at Chicago Midway International Airport:
The car rental companies’ offices are located inside the terminal on the lower level. Car rental pick-up and drop-off points are found on Level 2 of the Midway Airport Parking Garage, located east of Cicero Avenue. Most of these companies provide vehicles for persons with mobility impairments. They need notification two to three days before your visit to Midway Airport.
- Alamo, 800.462.5266
- Avis, 800.331.1212
- Budget, 800.527.0700
- Dollar, 800.800.3665
- Enterprise, 866.502.1260
- Hertz, 800.654.3131
- National, 800.227.7368
The fare is $2.25 one way. Please note: there is a $5 surcharge for passengers leaving from O’Hare Airport. Subway rides are approximately 55 minutes in length.
From O’Hare Airport, take the Blue Line:
Exit at LaSalle
Hotel Blake, 500 South Dearborn Street
From Midway Airport, take the Orange Line:
Exit at Harold Washington Library-State-Van Buren
Hotel Blake, 500 South Dearborn Street
500 South Dearborn Street
Chicago, IL 60605
The Educare Learning Network will handle your hotel accommodation throughout your stay with us. We will cover the cost for your room plus tax for two nights. Guests are required to provide a credit card during check-in to cover the cost of incidentals and other additional charges.
Email Confirmations will be sent directly from the hotel to each attendee.
Check-in and -out dates
Check-in: July 25, 2016
Check-out: July 27, 2016
Attendees wishing to extend their stay should reach out to the Hotel Blake and mention they are part of the Educare Learning Network meeting block and would like to inquire about additional nights. Rates and availability cannot be guaranteed by the Educare Learning Network. A credit card will need to be placed on the reservation to secure the additional nights.
Please visit the Hotel Blake website for parking information.
- Cancellations must be made 48 hours prior to date of arrival.
- The Educare Learning Network must be notified of all cancellations by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Failure to cancel reservations will result in a no-show fee for the Educare Learning Network.
- Brazzaz, The Brazilian Steakhouse, 539 North Dearborn Street, 312.595.9000
- Chicago Chop House, 60 West Ontario Street, 312.787.7100
- Cheesecake Factory, 875 North Michigan Avenue, in the John Hancock Center, 312.337.1101
- C-House, 166 East Superior Street, 312.523.0923
- Cibo Matto-Modern Italian, 201 North State Street, 312.239.9500
- Heaven on Seven, 600 North Michigan Avenue, 312.280.7774
- Mastro’s Restaurant-Steakhouse, 520 North Dearborn Street, 312.521.5100
- Park Grill, 11 North Michigan Avenue, 312.521.7275
- Sunda-Modern Asian, 110 West Illinois Street, 312.644.0500
- Wildfire, 159 East Erie, 312.787.9000
- Zed 451, 739 North Clark Street, 312.266.6691
- Nordstrom Rack, 520 North Michigan Avenue, 312.379.4300
- Nine West, 175 West Jackson Boulevard, 312.786.0206
- TJ Maxx, 11 North State Street, 312.553.0515
- Target, 1154 South Clark Street, 312.212.6300
- Nike Town, 669 North Michigan Avenue, 312.642.6363
- Crate & Barrel, 646 North Michigan Avenue, 312.787.5900
- Neiman Marcus, 737 North Michigan Avenue, 312.642.5900
- Saks Fifth Avenue, 700 North Michigan Avenue, 312.944.6500
- Chicago Place Shopping Center, 700 North Michigan Avenue, 312.642.4811
- Macy’s State Street, 111 North State Street, 312.578.8629
- Disney Store, 717 North Michigan Avenue, 312.654.9208
- Water Tower Place, 835 North Michigan Avenue, 312.440.3166
- Bloomingdales, 900 North Michigan Avenue, 312.440.4460
Nightlife in Chicago
- Andy’s Jazz Club, 11 East Hubbard Street, 312.642.6805
- Blue Chicago, 536 North Clark Street, 312.661.0100
- Buddy Guy’s Legends, 700 South Wabash Avenue, 312.427.1190
- Close Up 2, (live smooth jazz), 416 South Clark Street, 312.385.1111
- House of Blues, 329 North Dearborn Street, Chicago, 312.923.2000
- Howl at the Moon, 26 West Hubbard Street, 312.863.7427
For more information about places to see in Chicago, visit the Chicago Convention and Tourism Bureau.